Wednesday, October 9, 2024

Lost in translation---Yaen Mei

 

Yaen Mei

ESLINTG 100

September 30, 2024

The Things

        My parents and I immigrated to Chicago about two years ago. We chose this city because we had a lot of relatives and my father’s friends live here. My parents thought these relationships could help us adapt to our new life soon. On some portion, it’s true. We found a nice apartment on the first day. My father’s sister brought us everywhere to help us figure out how this city worked. In addition, I was able to study English in a free language school. All of these situations depended on these relationships. As time passed, some of the people would ask me if I had adapted to Chicago life style or not. Every time they ask me this question, I always said yes to avoid awkward small talk. However, only my brain knew that I was pretending. In my deep mind, I still feel that I am a rookie immigrat. I still don’t know how to solve some of problems or adapt them.

        Even though I still have some problems in Chicago life, I have really adapted to some of culture in these two years. Getting a part-time job is the first thing. In Chicago, it’s very usual that teenagers and youths work part-time to earn their own money instead of getting their money from their parents or grandparents. In my opinion, youth in Chicago young persons are very proud of this because it means independence to them. I couldn’t remember when I started working, but one of the motivations was that I’m poor. Since I moved in Chicago, I only get a little pocket money from my parents, so I can’t afford my interests. Therefore, I had to find a part-time job. In fact, it’s not hard to find a job in Chicago. Almost all of the stores were hiring, yet the problem was these stores preferred to hire a full-time worker. Inevitably, I looked for a suitable part-time job for a long time. I fortunately got a part-time job from my friend. I really adapted to it after I gained my first wages. It was about seven hundred a month, but I also very excited. It was my first time earning my own money. I could spend it without any guilt. I finally understand why Chicago teenagers feel positive about it.

        As I said, Chicago life has some problems that I was still not adapting. One of the things is food. It’s difficult to change the taste and adapt to the different eating habits. When I tried the food in Chicago the first time, I felt that food added too much seasoning in it. It tasted very salty and sweet. The second time, I chose a popular restaurant in Chicago. I was so confused and still am now. I was not sure that the chef forgot to put seasoning in it or that meal just requested you tasting the original flavor of the ingredients. Hence, even I tried Chinese food in Chicago, but the food tasted not very authentic as well. For example, the orange chicken was one of these not authentic foods. It actually is not the Chinese food. It’s American-style Chinese food. Immigrants developed the flavor of Chinese food that made it suitable for American taste. These factors pushed me to cook by myself. However, I don’t have any talents for cooking. I always mess up everything, then offered horrible dishes for my family although they never complain them. When I am not trying to cook, I think I will really adapt Chicago food because my cooking skills are worse than every restaurant in Chicago. I think I perhaps have some weird mental lock for cooking.

        I’m trying my best to adapt to everything in Chicago now, but it’s not easy. Every day is different. I always alter my mood between optimistic and sadness as a psycho because something that I can’t adapt. I think I should try to adapt to them at least in a positive attitude if I want to live in Chicago for good. These processes are necessary. They can enrich my life experience, and promote my abilities. I believe I will adapt them in future. All the things will resolve as the time passes.



 

       


No comments:

Post a Comment

Lost in translation - Alan Castaneda

The Rush I am living the big city routine in my way. I am from El Grullo Jalisco, a small town located in Mexico, a town where people ca...