Sunday, September 15, 2024

My Name - Pie


My Name

Mathematics

Many people get my name wrong, Pie, thinking it’s the same as the mathematical symbol “pi.” Which stands for the circle’s width to its circumference. People often think I’m really good at math because of this, but I’m not even close. I’ve never been good at math, and I’ve always thought it was funny that my nickname makes people think I am. My real name is Chawin, which means “smart” or “intelligent.” The meaning of the name is great, but I’ve never been sure how I felt about the name itself. 

As a child, people would always say my name wrong, calling me everything from “Shawin” to “Chowin” During school roll calls or when meeting new people, it got annoying. I started calling myself “Pie” after a while because it was easier and seemed more like a better fit for who I was, even though it caused some confusion. Both of my names came from my grandfather. He gave me the name Chawin because he wanted me to be smart, not just in school, but also in real life. Able to tell the difference between good and bad. Many times, he said that our name guides our path in life, and he thought that Chawin would help me make good decisions and be an honest person. I love this word, but I have a hard time pronouncing it, so I’ve decided to go with the name Pie, which feels more personal and less formal.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Pie, your story is funny and interesting at the same time. I also love your grandfather's ideas about your name

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, pie. When I first time heard your name, I felt interesting. Thank you're sharing the good story about your name. Your grandfather gave you a unique name with a good meaning, and you also create a good name for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pie! I like your name. It is very easy to memorize and pronounce. I really memorized it after the first meeting in class. Thanks for your sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Pie, how nice that your grandfather gave you those names. There is no doubt that both names are quite inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Pie, I like your name because it's easy to pronounce and remember. It's an interesting name that you changed for yourself. I hope you are like PI, with endless ability and energy. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Pie, I like your story, it is interesting. I think the name Pie is pretty original also.

    ReplyDelete

Lost in translation - Alan Castaneda

The Rush I am living the big city routine in my way. I am from El Grullo Jalisco, a small town located in Mexico, a town where people ca...